Many people use their basement as an office or a workshop. Since it is below the ground level, getting a reliable cell signal can be problematic because mobile signals basically operate on line-of-sight. However, it is not impossible to get a proper cell signal in the basement.
Here are some important tips that will help you to boost the cell reception in your basement.
- If you do not have proper cell reception in your basement, you can use a device called microcell or femtocell, which is basically a small cell tower. Microcell is able to create a localized cell signal in your basement but it requires a broadband internet connection to operate.
- Always keep a full charge on your cell phone to get a proper cell signal. If there is not enough charge on your phone, finding a proper cell reception for making calls or browsing the internet will be difficult.
- A damaged cell phone can also prevent you from getting a better cell reception. The antenna for receiving the cell signal is placed inside in most smartphones. If the antenna is damaged, you have to get it repaired.
- There will be certain areas in your basement where the cell reception is better. By making a quick signal map of your basement, you can identify the areas where you get a proper cell signal. When you are unable to make calls, move to the area where the cell reception is better.
- If you have a strong Wi-Fi coverage in your basement, you won’t have to worry about the poor cellular network. You can use the Wi-Fi to make calls. Most network carriers allow native Wi-Fi calling.
- If you are desperate to make a call and the cell reception in your basement is not allowing, then try messaging apps like Whatsapp or Facebook Messenger to make the calls. Using these apps, you can even make a video call. But you will need a good Wi-Fi connection for these apps to work properly.
The best way to improve the cell signal in your basement is by installing a signal booster. It is a device used to increase the strength of the cell signal to a usable level. A cell phone booster system consists of an outside antenna for capturing the existing cell signal, an amplifier for boosting the cell signal, and an inside antenna for redistributing the boosted cell signal.